Sunday, January 29, 2017

Week 74: IT'S EVEN COLDER

This week was COLDER.  You remember how we got snow...two posts ago?  There was a little dusting on Sunday?  Well, the next week was a little warmer, but not much.  This week was SO COLD.

you can see a little snow on the hills.
this truck came in from the hills. see the snow?

It sent flurries at various times during the day.  Not that it seemed to affect the routine much.


You can't see, but it is SNOWING in this picture. Yes, they're wearing shorts.

I tried to keep warm.  One day I forgot to wear enough layers, and no surprise, I could not stay warm that day.  The rest of the week, people wondered how I was doing so well in just a suit coat and I was like "you have no idea how many layers I can hide under "just a suit coat".  Oh! and someone kindly gave me some earmuffs!

fuzzy!

So during my free time at school, I had fun with them.

the side spots were the hardest, 'cause they're actually ovals.

I'm very proud of them.

As many of you know, I could feel myself getting sick this week, (which is no fun) so I took care of myself. Reduced my energy output, stayed warm, drank lots of liquids, made sure I got enough sleep. Still, by Saturday, I could tell I wasn't going to avoid it completely.  So I rested up on Saturday. Did not go out into the cold.  Just covered the basic necessities.

Like going to Nara for a festival.

RIGHT, you think I'm gonna stay in when they're gonna light the mountain on fire?

I did my morning stuff an finally made it over to meet up with my friend in the afternoon.  We saw deer

Pose!

Checked out a shrine she's been meaning to see for a while.

Kasuga shrine!

there were a LOT of lanterns

GIANT OLD TREE

Because there were a lot of lanterns, they even had a room to display them lit up!


ooOOOOooo

I think my favorite was this gold one I saw outside

Yes, that's the Eiffel tower on it. On the side is the Arch de triumphe

We walked through some lovely park areas

it smelled so good.

this does not do this area justice.

they look like they're planning an attack.

And then we found the mountain.

but let's be honest, this is a hill.

If anyone remembers last year (I know you don't, it's ok) it was very cold then too.  It also had snow and freezing rain.  NOT THIS YEAR.  It was lovely and clear.  It was actually a bit warm during the day!

Then the sun set.

I packed LOTS of extra layers and I'm GLAD.

Well, the temperature plummeted then, of course.

and the crowds came in.

Ok, forgive pictures, because, remember, my camera doesn't like the dark.

First they had a (very long) religious ritual that very few people could get near.

warned you.

Then they lit a different bonfire.

sucker got big.

Then there were about 10-15 minutes of fireworks

they know how to do fire works shows here.

Then they set the hill on fire!

I kinda want this job.

burned much better this year.

the big bonfire was still going.

Most of the hill here, I backed up.

It went MUCH better this year.  Less rain, more fire. :)  Because of the snow/rain and just how wet it had been last year, it did not burn much. This year it went up pretty well!  We didn't stick around until the very end, because it was COLD, but we stayed for a while.

I make "and me without my marshmallow" jokes, but they didn't let us anywhere near close enough to roast anything. :(  I can understand why though, especially with how that wind was blowing.

We shuffled to our homes and got warm and it was a fun Saturday.  I don't feel much more sick today, so I might have avoided making it worse. :)  Of course, everyone's got a little SOMETHING this time of year in Elementary schools.  They tell me to wear masks, but I hate the things. :P  Might anyhow.

Hope you're all doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment