Saturday, January 7, 2017

Week 71: Last week of Winter Break

Yeah, so winter break is actually 3 weeks long.  I go back to school on Wednesday this coming week.
"Why didn't you stay longer with the parents?"

They wanted me gone so they could do the packing and get to the MTC. :P

So I did almost nothing this week.  Well, not completely true. When writing in my diary, I see that I did something every day.  Just...not much. :)

Except Monday! So you get to see my trip to Hikone!

So, Hikone is...about a 2 hour train ride north of me. (North East, otherwise we end up in the ocean). It's a little out of the way, and a smaller tourist area, so not as crowded.  Still, it is a LOVELY place, and it has a nice castle!  I didn't know about it, but a friend invited me along. :)

Hikone castle

I have to keep reminding myself that these castles were compounds and the parts we see are just the towers.  The main living areas are rarely (if ever) restored.  I really would like to see a fully restored one some day though. That would be so cool!

(my brain is a little foggy today, so this might be even more rambling than usual.)  SO! The castle!  There's a routine to visiting most restored castles.

first you take off your shoes.
then you climb a bunch of REALLY steep stairs
you end up in a cool top room
and you look over the city!

There are a few things to remind us that these are military towers.  For instance, there's a hidey hole!

this is good for retreat, and for hiding people to jump out and attack.

and again, the STAIRS

let's see you climb THAT in a kimono.

And of course, the fact that it's on a hill

lots of hill.

in order to accomodate people that have trouble walking around such a steep hill (it REALLY was) they had walking sticks people could borrow!

how cool is that!

And, being Japan, there was a mascot.

Hikoneko (Hikone's cat)

He's pretty famous, apparently.

Everyone wanted a picture.

We also went to the connected Museum

Samurai armor

Noh mask

Noh kimono

Apparently the lord of this castle was a BIG fan of the ancient art of Noh, or Japanese opera.  There was even a Noh stage right in the middle of the house.

We were not allowed near.

There was lots of cool stuff in the museum, and some of it, I'll admit, I half wanted to walk off with.

no one would notice, right?

But there was good security, so no chance of that.

There was also a garden we went to!  The light was going, so I didn't get many pictures.

there were so many cool bridges though!

hello little blossoms, do you know it's January?

Oh! And as it IS new year, we saw a shrine earlier in the day!

year of the rooster, I guess

FIRE!

good luck arrows.

And they had these new year decorations everywhere!

this is a particularly big one.

It invites the God of the New Year to come down, and the green is good luck. :)

Then we went to Biwako (lake Biwa) and chilled for a little

oooOOOooo

Before catching the train back.  In all, a very nice time!

The rest of the week, I did little things.  I went into Osaka

yeek

I got a new basket for my bike!

WOO!

I did shopping, I did cooking, I went to the doctors (always an adventure when you don't speak the language).  Went to the bath house (no pictures from that) and...yeah!  Good week!  

Oh, and I finally saw Rogue One. :)

Next week school starts on Wednesday, so I gotta make sure I'm ready to go!  I did some lesson planning already, but there's a bit more before I'm all done!

I hope you all are doing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment