Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week 31: Let's talk about Valentine's day

Well, this week was boring. So I'm gonna talk about Valentine's day.

I'm not sure how much I mentioned before, so I'm gonna start at the beginning.

Valentines day came to Japan a thanks to Western influence. And thanks to western influence, we got the translation all wrong.

See, the advertisements basically said "this is a day when guys get chocolates for the ones you love" but it translated to "guys get chocolates FROM the ones they love".... More or less

Anyhow! So in Japan, Valentine's eve will see loads of girls clustered around the chocolates, buying last minute treats 'cause they forgot.


all girls.

Now, it has extended over the years.  Girls don't just get chocolates for their guy, they get "friendship chocolates" as well.  (because "pity chocolate" is still chocolate)  To spread around all the acquaintances, and, honestly, get some candy for their girl-friends as well.

Because of this, you'll have some seemingly normal chocolates

little hearts

And of course, the "fun chocolate"
 And then you have the cute ones

legos!

penguins!

various animals!

SPAAAAAACE. (suckers were expensive)

karuta cards! (popular card game)

And there's the ones that are obviously for the younger (or younger in interest) males in your life.

trains

super heros

tools

cars!

sumo? wrestlers?

chocolate light saber! I'll take that!

And then you have the...just odd ones.

I don't know what flavor these actually are

they're in a soy sauce container. No idea way.

I have been informed there is a joke in here about the food being strong, like the man.  Either way, it's valentine's curry.

they AREN'T sushi flavored, I know that much.

for the otaku in your life.

dig up the dino bones from chocolate crumbles!

And of course, the nasty tasting ones.





One thing I gotta admire them for, is the dedication. I mean, when you're not sure which novelty to get, they even had a section of just normal chocolate like you can get in a grocery store.






Of course, if it's the same, why would you buy from here? How can you make money off it?  The answer?

VOLUME

I did not buy it. I was tempted though.


Of course, if you feel that these are a little impersonal, they always break out loads of baking and candy making stuff this time of year too.  And the Japanese certainly have an eye for detail!

they cut the strawberries into heart shapes.

But I'll admit, I didn't get anyone a valentine. I got lazy, I was poor, I didn't have the special someone. So I sat in the corner, eating my valentine's fish

it's a wrapper that makes the chocolate look like a fish. no worries

...no, no I didn't.

Now, because it's not fair that the girls get something for the boys, and that's it, a month later (March 14) they "White day" in which the boys get a return gift for the girls.  Usually something white. Which is why I had trouble finding anything but white chocolate for a little last month. :P

Then, as is to be expected, the youth took it one farther, and instituted an unofficial holiday (which has gained in popularity) called "Black day" on April 14, in which singles get together, do very non-coupley things, and eat black soba noodles.  And other black foods.  I'm all for eating black chocolate, I'll be honest.


Hopefully next week will be more interesting, or you'll get an overview of bikes in Japan!  Or how the schools are set up.  We'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment