Sunday, December 11, 2016

Week 67: A week of little adventures


First of all, I finished decorating my tree.

I know, finally, right?

I did not put any lights on it because I can't find any at the local dollar store. I'm sure there were some before, but I think they're gone now.

Sunday, a friend gave me a Persimmon from one of her students, fresh off a tree!  So I got to google "how to eat a persimmon".  Turns out it's simply wash, cut, eat!

and poison test on unsuspecting house mates.

It was very tasty.  The girls tell me it was "very sweet", probably due to being straight off a tree, but it definitely had less flavor than I'm used to from a fruit. Ah well.

The week went normally, and then Thursday, the students did their marathon!  And I got to go!
First we walked over.

and it was a lovely day

And when we got there, they started!

STAMPEDE!

Yes, that's a teacher in front. They pace them for a little, so they don't burn out quick.  Then the teacher drops to the back and plays "make sure they don't drop out"

They did really well!  The 5-6th graders ran 2.4 km! (mile and a half).  3-4th ran 1.6 km (a mile) and first and second ran .8 km! (yes, a half mile)  I mean...WOW.  They asked if I was going to join in and I pointed to my shoes "wrong shoes today. Otherwise I TOTALLY would. yup."  Then I laughed, because no one actually believes that.

Girls ran first, and after, they were the cheering squad for the boys.

they were very enthusiastic

And then we all walked back!  Gotta say, it made the students a little more subdued the rest of the day...maybe they should do it more often. ;)

It's winter, which means it's time for illuminations!  Most illuminations last all winter (and some into spring-ish) but the Kobe illumination (very famous) only lasts a week. And I can understand why.  See, it's to commemorate the great Kobe Earthquake, which took place downtown. So they set up these lights in the middle of downtown. And it's so popular that every night, they have to SHUT DOWN Kobe's main streets so people can walk through them to see these lights.  And on weekends they gotta shut down even more street, because in order to stop crowding, they snake the line of people through the streets like the rides at Disney.  When I went last year, I swear I walked 3 miles.  This year I went on a week day, so it was a much shorter walk (and line)

still crowded.

Eventually we got to the lights.


Can you see why they're so popular?

People kept stopping for pictures, and I can't blame them.

Inside the tunnel.

The lights were donated by the Italian Government

you can kinda tell.

I mean, it just...LOOKS Italian...ish.

For some reason, the post office always has a large presence

mascots!

And we went to one section (Yes, WE, I was SOCIAL) and all the sudden, the lights turned off!  We waited for a moment (each of us saying "I didn't do it!") When suddenly...


PRETTY!

It was a nice night out with friends.  We kept getting split in the crowd, so any time I noticed I lost someone, I would step out of the crowd a little, and raise my hand over my head.  And they'd find me. :)

Friday was interesting, because during recess, they had a jump rope jumping rally.  No, no idea why.

they warmed up

they did individual jumping

they did group jumping. (yes, those are 1st graders)

I mean, it's very impressive!


Then they go around the other side and go back through in a figure 8!  The goal is to see how many in a row they can do.  I, of course, joined a group. (all my other schools do it too, so I've had practice)  My group won for the class! :D

There was a bit of argument going on in my Friday school.  Last week they told me the students were going to make "New Year's" cards for a sister school they have in the states, and I was like "Ok, cool. How do you want me to work this?  5 minutes for English phrases? Christmas lesson? What?"  Well, I went in this week, prepared for any eventuality, and it turns out they wanted the FULL 45 minutes for these cards. I'm like "Ok, but FIRST..." So I gave my Christmas lesson, (slightly abbreviated) and then they had 25 minutes for their cards!  It was perfect timing.  (some students didn't finish because they're lazy butts)

The argument came after, when they were like "great! So next week is the Christmas lesson?"  And I said "No. THIS was the Christmas lesson.  NEXT week is normal lesson."  "But this was cards?"  "no. This was the Christmas lesson. They don't get two."

I think I finally got through to them.   :P

Then I went home and died.

I've been tired after school lately!  I'm not entirely sure why.  I mean, sure, I exercise, but I do nearly the same amount of exercise every week day!  You think I'd get used to it.  At least I'm feeling better (energetic) during work hours.

So Saturday wasn't a festival...well, specially.  So I cleaned my room and wandered into Osaka where there was a German village going on!

with carousel this year!

gingerbread stand!

giant tree!

DRESSED UP DOGGIES I GOT TO PET

It was fairly cold.

I feel ya kid.

But I had fun looking around, enjoying the people and eating a treat.

baby donuts

And there was a magician!

favorite kind of magic.

And I checked out Umeda station, where they had Ice skating last year, and they did this year too!

this time with real ice!

Since it was REAL ice this year, I was REALLY tempted.  (last year was a special plastic that made it difficult)  I did not though.  It was 15$, and the rink was small, and it doesn't look like it here, but it was crowded.  A lot of them were kids who I kept watching fall down.  I mean, I'm not terrible, but I would TOTALLY skate over a kid on accident.

I couldn't risk it.

So that was Saturday!

fairly calm and enjoyable. :)  Hope all is going well for you!

Oh! And before I forget, I found a job with an INTERESTING hat.

at least they're warm?

No comments:

Post a Comment