Sunday, June 26, 2016

Week 43: I wanna vacation!

It has been a loooooong stretch without any break.  And everyone REALLY wants one.  Just a 3 day weekend!  That's not much!  But no, we still have another 3 weeks before we get one.  At least June is almost over.

I'm afraid this week won't be that interesting to look at. While stuff did happen, I couldn't take pictures of much of it.

For instance, Tuesday, there was a choir concert!  BYU Hawaii came and members of the ward who pre-booked got free tickets!  I mean, it still cost money, train isn't free, but it was such a nice night!

However, you can't take pictures at a concert, so here's people standing around before hand talking.

ooOOOoo

The music was just lovely, and they covered a lot of different cultures.  They started off by singing the Barber of Seville, which, of course, doesn't have words, but they did the silliest actions to it, and it was all really good fun.  They ended by singing this lovely Japanese song called "Hana wa saku" or "Flowers will bloom".  It's a lovely song, and I've linked a choir arrangement of it. Not BYU Hawaii, but oh well.  Though one of my favorites was when they sang "Oh Susanna" and the crowd just got so excited, clapping along and cheering when some of the girls started clogging.

Thursday, as I mentioned before, I showed up for school, and there was no one there.  Well, hardly anyone.  There had been a major typhoon warning the night before, so to be safe, they delayed the start of school.  Not for the teachers, just the kids.  Anyhow, it WAS raining, but it wasn't bad, and it came and went.  Still, the students were on delayed start and then short day, so I ended up not teaching as much as a normal day.  The students left before lunch, and the teachers then left FOR lunch (I had already eaten) so I was alone.  I went into a spare room and took a nap. :P

When I was finally released, it had stopped raining, and I gotta say, It was a prime example of Typhoon warning days around here.

Fear it.

Friday, I was going slow. As the title states, I really want a vacation, so often I feel like by Friday I am just dragging. (I'm sure you've all gone through it.)  Anyhow, after teaching the classes, I was chilling out in the teacher's room when I noticed a bunch of my students walking by.  Now, I've never followed them before, because they're always off to music class, or PE or something, but I was bored, so I decided to see what they were up to.  I got ESPECIALLY curious when I saw yet ANOTHER of my classes following them.  Well, I got there and...

choir practice!

This is a shot of ALL the 6th graders in my school, three classes of 33 students, so 99 kids. Approximately.  This is why I can't estimate, because this does NOT look like 100 students to me.  Oh well.

Anyhow! They don't have designated choir, they're ALL in it.  There's a singing competition coming up, so they're practicing their song, and I got to sit through it!


This is obviously not the full song, but STILL, pretty good showcase of their abilities!  Listen! They're doing HARMONY, they're doing at least 3 different parts of harmony!  oooooh, if only we could do more arts in the states.  OOOOoooooh, if only.  I've noticed when I teach them songs, they pick them up pretty well too.

Speaking of songs, I gotta say, I am getting REALLY TIRED of "If you're happy and you know it."  It's teaching emotions, so I don't always get "I'm fine, thank you, and you?"  When I ask them how they are.  And it works!  But I want each class to sing the song at least 4 times.  And I only get them once a week.  So in the end, I sing the song.  Five times a day.  For a month.  June is almost over, and I am SO GLAD to move onto "what's the weather?"

ANYHOW

Friday afternoon looked scary, weather wise

the river is rising!

But didn't actually rain on the way home.

There was a farewell party to one of my friends, it was a really small affair, he doesn't like a lot of fuss.  So we played a few card games and one of them looked at me and said "what do you want to play next?" and I was like "I know it's only past 9, but I just want to go to BED."

So I did.

Saturday was GLOOMY and DREARY, and I was TIRED, so I was completely useless.  No, really.  I had done laundry on Thursday (remember the Typhoon warning?)  and I had leftovers to eat, and I just..sat around and was tired.  I took a nap, I watched some cartoons, I chatted with Dani and Katie.  Life was good.

dramatic re-enactment of Saturday.

Today was nice. They fed us after church.

so much FOOD.

I might not have to eat for the next few days.

Oh! And, I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but they are big on the aesthetic of food.  Gotta look pretty.  You know my approach.  Gotta taste good. Pretty is a plus, but often not worth the hastle. Anyhow, check out what they do to their oranges!

it's a bunny!

CUTE!  still too much bother for me, but if THEY wanna do it. :)

Next week should be more interesting! Loves all!

No comments:

Post a Comment