Saturday, June 18, 2016

Week 42: Death by exercise

This was a week filled with exercise.

Which is a problem because I was still recovering from being sick last week.

On the bright side, I think I AM well.  Hopefully for good, because I really hate the insomnia I get when I get sick.

Not ALL the exercise was bad though.  On Tuesday, I was supposed to teach the 5th graders, only they had national health testing all morning.  This mean that, although I felt like death, I did not have to call in sick, I just sat around school and relaxed. :)

I DID go out to see the kids exercise, and it was interesting!

They had standing jump

good timing on that one.

And a sprint, of course


they could really book it!
  They measured ball throwing

and that one kid that stood in front of the shot no matter how much I moved.

And sit ups

THEY got a MAT. I was so jealous.

and they did pacer running!

By class, of course

Pacer is... how to put it.  Basically, you have the students run from line to line, over and over and each time, the recording the government gives you to play shortens the amount of time you have to get to the other side.  So not only are you getting tired from running a long time, it wants you to SPEED UP.

The record was 90 lengths this year.  They beat last year's record of 80.  I...can't even imagine.


I was feeling mostly better by Thursday, and it's a good thing too, because that's when my bike decided to hate me.  My chain came off on the way to school.  TWICE.  The second time it came off, it jumped immediately into that gap where it gets stuck and you need the jaws of life to pry it out.  So I had to call in and be late, and of COURSE, this was the day that my first class started first period, so I showed up and immediately gathered my stuff and headed to class, never mind the fact that I was sweating like mad because it was so humid and I had just speed walked about a mile.

And the vice principal fixed my chain again. :)

By afternoon I was feeling less grumpy (that kinda thing can throw off your whole day)  And it was raining like the dickens, so I was like "I already did the humid as anything today. I'm not putting my rain coat back on."  Instead I wrapped it around all my stuff and biked home in the pouring rain.  The expressions on the kids faces was fantastic. I got a lot of second takes and one lady even asked if I had an umbrella.  (yes, it's in my bike basket)

SOAKED

But it was a fairly warm day, and really I had fun, so that was nice.  (and neither of my roommates were home to complain about the wet floor...)

Friday, I took the train to school, because every time the chain comes off my bike, it's on my way to Friday school and I just didn't want to risk it!

So Friday the students started swim classes!

I'm sure the wind is colder when you're wet.

It was so well organized, I was impressed!

I mean, I know, of course it HAS to be, but still.

that black hat behind the student in the water?  That's the teacher.

rows of swimmers

They had uniform suits, but different styles.

sleeves for those that get cold (or don't want to tan)

swim caps that just keep your hair in one place. 

everyone has the option of shorts

In all, very nice.  The thing that amazed me the most was when they went to go rinse off.

See, they go into this thing that reminds me of a sprayer for cows.



And then they stand there for a few seconds.
Then the teacher blows her whistle and they rub their hair for a few seconds.
Then she blows her whistle and they rub their arms for a few seconds.
Then she blows her whistle and they rub their legs for a few seconds.
Then she blows her whistle and they rub their fronts for a few seconds.
Then she blows her whistle and they rub their backs for a few seconds.
Then she blows her whistle and they get out and the next block of kids get in.

And it...well, it's a different way to do it, but it makes SENSE too!

Friday was a lovely evening and I just didn't want to stay in, so I went on a little adventure.  The sister missionaries had told me there was a good hamburger joint near me.  They were right!

little heavy on the sauces, but very good.

and I went to a mall and picked up some of those wide legged pants, because if this last week has told me anything, it is that it is TOO HOT AND HUMID for normal pants.  They just are uncomfortable.

Saturday, some friend invited me to go on a hike with them!  To Rokko mountain!  It was on my "to-do" list, so I figured it would be fun!  And we were going in the morning, so I'd have the afternoon to myself.  Right?

Right?

Yeah. no.

They said approximately 4 hours, and I've done that kind of thing before, but it turns out it was 4 hours UP.

sometimes VERY up.

There were places with stairs


of varying difficulty 

And lovely plants and streams





And there were warnings about wild boars, but we never saw one

they had others, but I didn't get a clear shot of them.

And there was a lovely pond.

Yes, I'm wearing a headband. I sweat a LOT that day.

Alright, here's the pond.

it had water lilies!

And I gotta say, I didn't actually take many pictures, because these people were set on HIKING.  I'd stop for another picture and they'd be like "ok, catch up when you can!"

There were the usual tiny little old people hiking along.  And..

d'awww

The one that threw me was the biker.

proof!

He was going down stuff I was unsure I'd want to WALK down.

Anyhow, we managed to make it almost 4 hours with minimal breaks by telling ourselves "5 more minutes!" and putting the one who's in shape in front.  (that might have been a mistake)  We made it (almost) all the way and there was a restaurant!

yes, there was a road up too. can you imagine hiking this in?

We had ice.

strawberry flavored

And it was really good, but I might not do it again, because it made my lungs feel funny... I think it was too much cold on an overheated body.

Anyhow, we finally made it to the TOP

our group!

And saw the view!

oooOOOOoooo
And a guy showed us these flowers that ONLY grow on Rokko



And we were like "this was fun! Let's take the bus down"  So we had our Japanese member ask for directions to the bus.  Unfortunately, he asked for directions "down the mountain" and we WALKED DOWN THE MOUNTAIN.

guess why I can take a shot from so far above these people...SWITCHBACKS.
I mean, it WAS lovely
reminded me of Washington

BUT IT WAS 4 MORE MILES THAN WE WERE PLANNING ON WALKING.

We are never putting him in front again.  We were well on our way down when I realized we were going the wrong way, and we would have had to walked UP to get out and we were like "eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh. don't waaaaaaaaanna."

Maybe shoulda.

Finally got OFF the mountain!

walking stick dumping box.

Had to walk through a town (more ouch) and FINALLY got on the train.

By the time we got back home, we hurt, smelled funny, and it was after 5:30.  I got showered, limped to the store, made dinner and then hid in my room the rest of the evening.

I DID sleep well that night.

But now everything hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment