Sunday, May 22, 2016

Week 38: The pretty weather month

So I found out that many of the months have designations, or nick names.  Months in Japan (and China, and Korea) are numbered, not names.  For instance, January is called "1 month".  Well, I was teaching the months to the students, and I pointed to June and they said "Oh! Rainy month!" I pointed to August and they said "Oh! Hot month!"

Ah, the anticipation.  

Well, it turns out May is known for being the pretty weather month. And it is. The weather lately has been just stunning!  Get's a bit warm in the afternoon, but the rest of the time, it's perfect weather. Makes for lovely bike rides. :)


I tried to get out more this week, as I have a tendency to be lazy after school. :)  Nothing much to say about it.  I DID find my dream umbrella.

This is a silly story. So some of you might remember that I like umbrellas.  When I was in Korea, I enjoyed the fun colors and designs.  (one of mine said "allow me to explain through interpretive dance")  However here in Japan, they're not as entertaining.  Ah well.

ANYHOW.

So, way back when I came, I saw this stunning umbrella. It had a look of sunset around it, with a fade of orange to yellow.  And around the bottom was silhouettes of safari.  I looked EVERYWHERE. Always kept my eyes open.  I forewent buying many umbrellas because none of them were quite as pretty as this one I had seen.  Finally found it.

isn't it pretty?

I...did not buy it.  Because for some reason, it was going for approximately $108?!  This is not the first expensive umbrella I had seen, but SERIOUSLY?!

The odd thing is, if an umbrella is expensive, it usually is $108.  What an odd number.  (well, even)

This weekend I went to a Thai festival!  It was interesting to compare it to the Cinco de Mayo festival. (Hispanic festival)  It was certainly larger.

and the weather was lovely!

The food was much better

SO GOOD

And I gotta admit, I haven't been tempted to spend all my money on clothes in a while.

great color and patterns!

Sadly, not professional enough for school.

There was some amazing dancing and other shows.

A storytelling.
dancing!
lion...fish?  cool!
YES. shirtless drumming!
And acrobatics!
swordplay!
butterfly!
so colorful!

They also had some awesome kick boxing!




It was obviously just exhibition matches, as they were mostly just having fun.  At one point Challenger 1 hid behind the referee, so challenger 2 playfully aimed some kicks at the referre.  At which point the referee started kicking at challenger 2, and challenger 1 got jealous, stopped them and pushed the referee out of the way. :)

They had some little kids too!  They did not fight, they just did the traditional preparations for it.

so cute!

And they had Sepaktakraw!  It's an awesome (and difficult) sport.  Many people call it "soccer vollyball" or something to describe it, but its really its own sport.  And as Danica knows, I often take pictures of informative signs, so this should answer questions about it.

I'll just leave this here.
It is SO HARD to get a decently timed picture!

So, there's a video of it.  There are actually two ways to play it.  Shown is the more official (and difficult) method, but there is one that does not involve the giant kick to begin service.


That was pretty darn awesome, let me tell you!  I had heard of it previously, but never had the chance to see it in person. :)

It WAS very sunny, so I kept putting on sun screen.  They also had these visor things people were wearing.


Very popular

I looked all over for them, 'cause I wanted one!

Oh! here is the hand out!

so I got one!

I'm so stylish.

Then I figured out what it was an advertisement for.

beer.  Oh well.

It was still nice to have a head shade that allows for breeze.

Random stuff!  The food was good!  I was tempted to get Pad Thai, but figured I'd be more adventurous.

some sort of chicken...thing...
coconut rice pancakes! I gotta learn to make these.

There were some people wandering around in interesting wear.

I'm pretty sure this isn't traditional...

And as the day progressed, it became more crowded.

people chilling out for lunch.
very crowded, but nice

And a little more kick boxing that was more acrobatics than fighting. :)


By the time I left, I was quite tired, probably more from the heat than the exertion, but it was still quite fun. :)  I managed not to get much of a sun burn.  Or spend my entire budget for the week.  :)

And so, as the sun was setting, I staggered home.

No comments:

Post a Comment